What is 90s grunge aesthetic?
90s grunge aesthetic is a very popular alternative fashion trend within social media, such as Instagram, Pinterest and now TikTok.
It's a mix of casual & distressed black clothes, combat boots, fishnet tights, baggy denim shorts & pants among all sorts of accessories such as piercings and barbed wire bracelets.
The grunge aesthetic originated and was popular in the late 1980s & early 1990s.
It was not only a fashion statement, but also a sign of rebellion against the mainstream, mostly influenced by alternative music bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden & Alice in Chains that received heavy rotation in MTV's golden era.
The 90s grunge fashion style has received a resurgence within young, trendy people who like to be different from the rest of the crowd, but also with a nostalgia hint to its old school roots.
7 Must-have grunge aesthetic style fashion items:
1. Ripped jeans.
Ripped pants are an essential part of a 90s grunge look. They add an edgy and rebellious touch to any outfit and can really make you stand out in a crowd.
Ripped pants can be worn with just about anything, from a simple t-shirt to a more stylish blouse or jacket. Whether you’re dressing up for a night out or just going for a casual look, ripped pants are always a great choice.
2. Graphic t-shirt.
Graphic tees are important to pull off a grunge style look because they are comfortable, easy to wear, and they make a statement.
90s grunge fashion inspired shirts can be found in many styles and colors, making them versatile and easy to mix and match with other clothing items. They are also a great way to show off your personality and style.
3. Denim jacket.
90s grunge fashion is all about being comfortable and looking good at the same time, and denim jackets are the perfect way to achieve that.
They can be worn over a band tee and a pair ripped boyfriend jeans for a classic 90's grunge fashion look, or over a dress for a more feminine take on the style.
Either way, denim jackets are a must-have for any grunge-inspired wardrobe.
4. Combat boots.
Dr Martens combat boots are indispensable for a 90s grunge style look because they are both comfortable and stylish, but mostly, looks vintage.
They can be worn with a variety of different looks, from jeans to skirts, and they add a bit of an edge to any outfit.
5. Choker necklace.
Choker necklaces were all the rage in the 1990s, thanks in part to the 90s grunge fashion look that was popular at the time.
These necklaces were often made of black fabric or leather, and they added a touch of edge to any outfit. If you were lucky, you might have found a choker with a small charm or pendant attached to it.
These days, choker necklaces are back in style, and they look just as cool as they did in the 90s.
You can also check out these 24 choker outfit ideas if you are looking for outfits inspiration.
6. Vans sneakers.
Vans sneakers are the perfect example of this aesthetic, as they are affordable and easy to customize. They are both comfortable and stylish for any grunge 90s outfits.
7. 90s Grunge look: oversized flannel plaid shirts
Oversized flannel plaid shirts are a key component of the grunge style. The shirts are typically worn over a thermal top or t-shirt, and are left untucked with the sleeves rolled up.
The oversized fit of the shirt allows for layering and creates a relaxed and comfortable look.
Now that we have the basics nailed down, we will show you grunge look ideas and how they can inspire you to make your new-look stand out.
There's also grunge makeup ideas that you can get inspiration from, that will help you complete the 90s grunge style look that you want..
Don't forget to check out each model's pages, since they have much more cool grunge looks.
Dark grunge aesthetic outfit look:
1. Choker with lace-up crop top, fishnet leggings & black pants by _emilylaura
2. Irregular crop top with heart lock necklace, plaid high waist skirt, fishnet tights & converse canvas shoes by diana_._numb
3. Plaid shirt with studded necklace and wristbands, graphic printed crop tee, double buckle belt, black trousers & All Star shoes by bloodyyr4t
4. Floral Print Tights, T.U.K. Ruby Red Creepery, “In The Midst Of Winter” Shirt, Levi's DIY Cutoff Shorts & Choker
5. Mesh long top with black bra, pleated mini skirt & combat boots by stephgolsch
6. Printed Metallica tee with gray jeans & black boots by endzel_
7. Oversized knitted sweater with black ripped pants & boots by wildfyyyre
8. AC/DC oversized tee with black shorts, ripped pantyhose & vans sneakers by jadynixx
Grunge style fishnet outfit ideas:
The following outfits with fishnets are a classic staple within the grunge style. You cannot go wrong wearing a pair of fishnet pantyhose!
Here are some examples:
1. Green beanie hat, choker necklace, denim jacket, floral sweatshirt, fishnet stockings & combat boots by nicolealyseee
2. Oversized “Nirvana” band printed crop top, denim shorts, fishnet stockings & combat boots by celestialsmoke
3. Studded headband with fishnet top, lace trim black camisole, double ring belt, denim jeans with chains & platform combat boots by strawberry.tox
4. Graphic “Thrasher Magazine” print white crop top with fishnet leggings & distressed denim jeans by aysaplarocky
5. Nirvana graphic tee with denim shorts & fishnet tights by stephgolsch
6. Long striped shirt with oversized fishnet tights by _frankiemiles
Soft grunge outfits:
Soft grunge aesthetic is a simplified version of basic 90s grunge fashion. The style has evolved to include other genres, with hints of hipster & indie clothing style. It is such a great style because it’s simple and doesn't need a lot of preparation. There's also the pastel grunge aesthetic, which you can inspire you for more pastel aesthetic outfit ideas.
1. Dark flannel patterned shirt, ripped blue jeans, black “Cute but psycho” tee.
2. Green canvass jacket, ripped jean shorts, white Singlet-T, crimson scarf, and lace-up heel boots
3. Arctic Monkeys burgundy top with plaid flannel shirt, ripped denim jeans, fishnet pantyhose & combat boots by ghostdaniela
4. Dark green and blue flannel shirt, short sleeve varsity T, and ripped light blue jeans
Spring grunge outfits:
Think about these grunge fashion items: ripped jeans, flannel shirts, and combat boots. Add a touch of femininity with a floral dress or a pair of ripped jeans with a floral top.
1. Necklace, flannel, stripped top & shorts by variousxvibes
2. Lion graphic tee with plaid shirt, denim shorts & fishnet tights by stephgolsch
3. Long sleeve black crop top with distressed denim jeans & studded combat boots by deviilbby
4. Trasher Magazine top with long striped hand warmers, pleated mini skirt with double rings belt, fishnet tights, long striped socks & vintage Converse shoes by mithara.bui
5. Floral lace bralette with high waist mini skirt, pantyhose & combat boots by sophie.seddon
Soft grunge outfits ideas:
1. Black crop tank with belt, plaid trousers & Vans shoes by lilcrybaaby
2. Denim jacket, black crop top, plaid skirt, long socks & converse shoes by athousandchapters
3. Black overall with checkerboard top & combat boots by cooltured
grunge aesthetic summer outfits
Summer can be quite hard to make your grunge aesthetic look stand out, however, keeping it simple with some cool oversized printed tees, denim overalls & combat boots can be all you require for that season. Check out these looks:
1. Off-the-shoulder crop top with black overalls & Dr Martens boots by lilcrybaaby
2. Oversized black printed tee with shorts, fishnet socks & Vans shoes by internetxdoll
3. Cat eye sunglasses with black choker, long shirt, shorts & Dr Martens combat boots by notbrub
4. Sunglasses with printed tee, elastic shorts & black shoes by maybrumm
5. Grey top with black mini skirt, fishnet tights & combat boots by ghostdaniela
Edgy grunge outfits:
1. Graphic printed long sleeved top with black denim shorts, tights & Vans shoes by nickysatanabis
2. Vintage graphic printed tee, black jeans & combat boots by pilky_
3. Bandana with black round sunglasses, gray denim jacket, graphic printed Metallica tee, black skinny pants & sneakers by blvckd0pe
4. O-ring collar choker with black crop top, denim jeans, oversized fishnet leggings & combat boots by tata70s
5. “How I Met My Spirit” printed shirt with fishnet top, black pleated mini skirt & Vans shoes by strawberry.tox
Grunge street style:
1. 90s grunge look: vintage band printed shirt, choker necklace, round glasses, plaid pants & Dr Martens boots by luanna
2. Long sleeved Adidas top with black shorts, pantyhose, and black boots by sophie.seddon
3. Cap hat, denim jacket, white blouse, black pants & Vans shoes by alieence
4. Sunglasses with denim jacket, black top, black skirt, long socks & vintage lace up boots by aliencreature
5. Black bomber jacket with white knitted top, black tennis skirt & high knee socks by cooltured
Fall grunge outfits:
The grunge aesthetic is all about layering, and fall is the perfect time to experiment with this style.
Start with a basic tee or tank, and add a flannel shirt or oversized sweater on top.
Then, add a denim jacket or vest, and finish with a pair of ripped jeans or leggings. Add a pair of combat boots or Converse sneakers, and you're good to go!
1. Black denim jacket with tank top, plaid trousers & combat boots by sophie.seddon
2. Black beanie with denim jacket, printed top, high waist mini skirt, fishnet tights, long black socks & Vans shoes by internetxdoll
So there you have it! We hope that this collection will do the trick. If you want to get more grunge inspiration,
We will update this article with more outfits ideas in the near future, so stay tuned!