Grunge outfits are a very popular alternative attire within social media, such as Instagram, Pinterest and now TikTok.
It's a mix of casual & distressed black clothes, combat boots, fishnet tights, baggy denim shorts & pants among all sorts of accessories such as piercings and necklaces.
The grunge aesthetic is a fashion style that originated and was popular in the late 1980s & early 1990s.
It was not only a fashion statement, but also a sign of rebellion against the mainstream, mostly influenced by alternative music bands such as Nirvana, Soundgarden & Alice in Chains that received heavy rotation in MTV's golden era.
90s grunge fashion has received a resurgence within young, trendy people who like to be different from the rest of the crowd, but also with a nostalgia hint to its old school roots.
7 Must-have grunge aesthetic style fashion items:
To really capture the grunge aesthetic look, you cannot go wrong with this list of 7 grunge clothing items:
1. Ripped jeans.
Ripped pants are an essential part of a grunge style outfit. They add an edgy and rebellious look to any outfit and can really make you stand out in a crowd.
Ripped pants can be worn with just about anything, from a simple t–shirt to a more stylish blouse or jacket. Whether you’re dressing up for a night out or just going for a casual look, ripped pants are always a great choice.
2. Graphic t-shirt.
Graphic tees are important to pull off a grunge style look because they are comfortable, easy to wear, and they make a statement.
Graphic tees can be found in many styles and colors, making them versatile and easy to mix and match with other clothing items. They are also a great way to show off your personality and style.
3. Denim jacket.
90s grunge fashion is all about being comfortable and looking good at the same time, and denim jackets are the perfect way to achieve that.
They can be worn over a band tee and ripped jeans for a classic grunge look, or over a dress for a more feminine take on the style.
Either way, denim jackets are a must–have for any grunge–inspired wardrobe.
4. Combat boots.
Combat boots are indispensable for a 90s grunge fashion look because they are both comfortable and stylish.
They can be worn with a variety of different looks, from jeans to skirts, and they add a bit of an edge to any outfit.
5. Choker necklace.
Choker necklaces were all the rage in the 1990s, thanks in part to the 90s grunge fashion look that was popular at the time.
These necklaces were often made of black fabric or leather, and they added a touch of edge to any outfit. If you were lucky, you might have found a choker with a small charm or pendant attached to it.
These days, choker necklaces are back in style, and they look just as cool as they did in the 90s.
6. Vans sneakers.
Vans sneakers are the perfect example of this aesthetic, as they are affordable and easy to customize. They are both comfortable and stylish.
7. Oversized flannel plaid shirts
Oversized flannel plaid shirts are a key component of the grunge style. The shirts are typically worn over a thermal top or t–shirt, and are left untucked with the sleeves rolled up.
The oversized fit of the shirt allows for layering and creates a relaxed and comfortable look.
Now that we have the basics nailed down, we will show you grunge outfits ideas and how they can inspire you to make your new-look stand out.
Don't forget to check out each model's pages, since they have much more cool grunge looks.
Dark grunge aesthetic outfits ideas:
1. Choker with lace-up crop top, fishnet leggings & black pants by _emilylaura
2. Irregular crop top with heart lock necklace, plaid high waist skirt, fishnet tights & converse canvas shoes by diana_._numb
3. Plaid shirt with studded necklace and wristbands, graphic printed crop tee, double buckle belt, black trousers & All Star shoes by bloodyyr4t
4. Floral Print Tights, T.U.K. Ruby Red Creepery, “In The Midst Of Winter” Shirt, Levi's DIY Cutoff Shorts & Choker
5. Mesh long top with black bra, pleated mini skirt & combat boots by stephgolsch
6. Printed Metallica tee with gray jeans & black boots by endzel_
7. Oversized knitted sweater with black ripped pants & boots by wildfyyyre
8. AC/DC oversized tee with black shorts, ripped pantyhose & vans sneakers by jadynixx
Grunge Style fishnet outfit ideas:
The following outfits with fishnets are a classic staple within the grunge style. You cannot go wrong wearing a pair of fishnet pantyhose!
Here are some examples:
9. Green beanie hat, choker necklace, denim jacket, floral sweatshirt, fishnet stockings & combat boots by nicolealyseee
10. Oversized “Nirvana” band printed crop top, denim shorts, fishnet stockings & combat boots by celestialsmoke
11. Studded headband with fishnet top, lace trim black camisole, double ring belt, denim jeans with chains & platform combat boots by strawberry.tox
12. Graphic “Thrasher Magazine” print white crop top with fishnet leggings & distressed denim jeans by aysaplarocky
13. Nirvana graphic tee with denim shorts & fishnet tights by stephgolsch
14. Long striped shirt with oversized fishnet tights by _frankiemiles
Soft grunge outfits:
Soft grunge is a simplified version of basic 90s grunge inspired fashion. The style has evolved to include other genres, with hints of hipster & indie clothing style. It is such a great style because it’s simple and doesn't need a lot of preparation.
15. Dark flannel patterned shirt, ripped blue jeans, black “Cute but psycho” tee.
16. Green canvass jacket, ripped jean shorts, white Singlet-T, crimson scarf, and lace-up heel boots
17. Arctic Monkeys burgundy top with plaid flannel shirt, ripped denim jeans, fishnet pantyhose & combat boots by ghostdaniela
18. Dark green and blue flannel shirt, short sleeve varsity T, and ripped light blue jeans
Spring grunge outfits:
19. Necklace, flannel, stripped top & shorts by variousxvibes
20. Lion graphic tee with plaid shirt, denim shorts & fishnet tights by stephgolsch
21. Long sleeve black crop top with distressed denim jeans & studded combat boots by deviilbby
22. Trasher Magazine top with long striped hand warmers, pleated mini skirt with double rings belt, fishnet tights, long striped socks & vintage Converse shoes by mithara.bui
23. Floral lace bralette with high waist mini skirt, pantyhose & combat boots by sophie.seddon
24. Black crop tank with belt, plaid trousers & Vans shoes by lilcrybaaby
25. Denim jacket, black crop top, plaid skirt, long socks & converse shoes by athousandchapters
26. Black overall with checkerboard top & combat boots by cooltured
grunge summer outfits
Summer can be quite hard to make your grunge outfit stand out, however, keeping it simple with some cool oversized printed tees, denim overalls & combat boots can be all you require for that season. Check out these looks:
27. Off-the-shoulder crop top with black overalls & Dr Martens boots by lilcrybaaby
28. Oversized black printed tee with shorts, fishnet socks & Vans shoes by internetxdoll
29. Cat eye sunglasses with black choker, long shirt, shorts & Dr Martens combat boots by notbrub
30. Sunglasses with printed tee, elastic shorts & black shoes by maybrumm
31. Grey top with black mini skirt, fishnet tights & combat boots by ghostdaniela
Edgy grunge outfits:
32. Graphic printed long sleeved top with black denim shorts, tights & Vans shoes by nickysatanabis
33. Vintage graphic printed tee, black jeans & combat boots by pilky_
34. Bandana with black round sunglasses, gray denim jacket, graphic printed Metallica tee, black skinny pants & sneakers by blvckd0pe
35. O-ring collar choker with black crop top, denim jeans, oversized fishnet leggings & combat boots by tata70s
36. “How I Met My Spirit” printed shirt with fishnet top, black pleated mini skirt & Vans shoes by strawberry.tox
Grunge street style:
37. Vintage band printed shirt, choker necklace, round glasses, plaid pants & Dr Martens boots by luanna
38. Long sleeved Adidas top with black shorts, pantyhose, and black boots by sophie.seddon
39. Cap hat, denim jacket, white blouse, black pants & Vans shoes by alieence
40. Sunglasses with denim jacket, black top, black skirt, long socks & vintage lace up boots by aliencreature
41. Black bomber jacket with white knitted top, black tennis skirt & high knee socks by cooltured
Fall grunge outfits:
42. Black denim jacket with tank top, plaid trousers & combat boots by sophie.seddon
43. Black beanie with denim jacket, printed top, high waist mini skirt, fishnet tights, long black socks & Vans shoes by internetxdoll
So there you have it! We hope that this collection will do the trick.
We will update this article with more outfits ideas in the near future, so stay tuned!